Monday, June 13, 2011

Internship Day 1

Today was busy.

I arrived at the American Action Network/Forum, was assigned a cubicle, and immediately got to work, meeting my co-workers and writing a bio (which took a surprisingly long time). I struggled with being gregarious in an environment where all the other interns are at least 5 years older than I am. With characteristic awkwardness and well employed self-deprecating humor, I managed to meet and befriend most in the office.

I went to a Chinese restaurant for lunch, where all the Chief of Staff's and alums of Floridian representatives were having a reunion . At Choate, I felt like a silenced minority; at this lunch, a member of the vocal majority. Of the 30-40 people there, all were Republicans :) Representative John L. Mica (R-FL), Chairman of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, stopped by briefly -- my first encounter with someone famous on the Hill.

This afternoon, I summarized bills, compiled data for the Forum, and helped produce a video with Doug Holltz-Eakin, President of the American Action Forum, former director of the Congressional Budget Office, and former domestic policy adviser to John McCain's 2008 presidential campaign.

Tonight, I went to American University Kogod School of Business, and listened to lectures on leadership ... it was very interesting!

In other news, I bought a camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment