Friday, August 26, 2011

A harrowing Yankees game

First, let me announce that I've began my year long "Gap Yah Burger Quest." By next summer, I will hopefully be able to recommend the best burger in the US. To date, my notable burgers have included Five Guys, Ray's Hell Burger, and Good Stuff Eatery/We the Pizza. I tried Shake Shack on Wednesday with Madeleine Foote; it was really good and the burger was especially meaty -- I kid you not; this burger had the most pure beef flavor of any burger I've ever had. Unfortunately, I forgot to order "Shack Sauce," so my assessment is incomplete. I'll have to revisit and reassess. Also, as a general burger pet peeve, I hate it when a place can't cook a burger medium rare. Shake Shack was the most grievous offender, because they "can only cook the burger medium or rare." Really?

We were in the nose bleeds all right.
I'm not much of baseball follower. I was a huge fan of the Yankees in 2009 and a bigger fan of the Rangers in 2010. Are you noticing a pattern? Either I'm the greatest baseball soothsayer in the history of history, or there's a more insidious motivation behind my support. This summer, I've had the good fortune of being invited to two baseball games, both times using the tickets as a backup. Last week, Brian McNamara had an extra ticket, so Brian, Madeleine Foote, Mariah Foote, and I went to see the Yankees play the Oakland A's. The game was rather boring until the 8th inning, at which point the Yankees were down 6-0. Nick Swisher hit a home run in the bottom of the 8th to make the score 3-6. Oakland didn't score in the 9th and went on the defensive. Jorge Posada, first at bat, knocked a homer into left field ... 4-6. Bases loaded, two outs, the pitcher walks Cano ... 5-6. Nick Swisher gets at bat again, hits the ball deep center, and comes 10 feet short of a grand slam. The Yankees lose. What an exciting anti-climactic game!

No comments:

Post a Comment