Friday, July 8, 2011

Travel day

Jimmy and I woke up at 6am to a take a 7 am Amtrak to Newark. While Jimmy slept, I read. During the train ride, I reclined my seat ever so slightly, and the passenger behind me let out a loud wince in reaction, but said nothing to me, which I found very bizarre. When we got to Newark, I of course had thrown out my Amtrak ticket and got in a kurflufle with the tram guards. Having swayed the guards to let us on, Jimmy and I, by total potluck, ran into Addie Mitchell, who is on her way to China for six weeks -- slightly more exotic than Houston. The plane ride was wholly uneventful: t.v. costs $7.99 and watching is what I did.

John picked us up at the airport, and we went to Calliope's immediately from baggage claim. Calliope's appears to be a local hang-out with Cajun cuisine: it was the best Cajun but slightly bizarre. It has a lovely ambiance, heightened by the criminals buying bail bonds next door. Point in case, John had the red-beans-and-rice and Jimmy and I had "surf n' turf" Po'boy, with fried shrimp, roast beef, and gravy.

Being in Texas, I felt the spirit of the Lord, and we drove by Lakewood Church . . .  excitement mounts for our mega-church visit. To finish a lovely day, John's mom -- a southern belle -- made us a dinner of braised brisket, cheese grits, sweet corn, and green beans. We don't eat like that in the North. I'm not complaining, but I was told (by John, mind you), I would have Yankee Pot Roast: we made him lone-star chicken at my house.

- Ross and John (more to come from this duo)

No comments:

Post a Comment