Tuesday, April 24, 2012

J Roddy Walston and the Business

Well ... to say I was out of my comfort zone would be an understatement! On Saturday, Gabe, Andrew, and I drove to Pawtucket, RI to see "J Roddy Walston and the Business" in concert. To begin, I had never been to Pawtucket, nor ever attended a concert in a grungy, albeit atmospheric, bar. My muted outfit of jeans and a green tshirt (as opposed to shiny lime yellow) proved prudent, in light of Andrew's lecture on how to be inconspicuous. The band was great, but the music deafening -- so unbelievable and excruciatingly LOUD! Andrew seems to follow the band religiously. Whereas Gabe and I swayed timidly, Andrew at one point reached for a handshake from the lead singer -- typical, in the best sense of the word! After, we went to Thayer, and with the addition of Tom, Andrew's friend from RISD, we had the ritual and routine dinner at the venerable East Side Pockets.

The next morning, we had an uninspired brunch at "The Corner Cafe," BUT waiting in the queue ahead of, by pure coincidence, was Sheldon Whitehouse, Senator from the great state of Rhode Island. Who da thunk it?

No comments:

Post a Comment