Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The RhodySquash saga begins

I've officially taken over as Executive Director of RhodySquash. Let me interrupt your immediate thoughts; yes, that's a pompous title. Imagine you're in my position, having just turned 18 and introducing yourself to adults as the Executive Director. But that problem is neither here nor there. Yesterday, Emily (a board member) and I went to Newport Fed to open up a bank account, while simultaneously going to Bank of America to close the RhodySquash account. One of my leading mandates as Director is to raise money; in my opinion, that implies I find a safe place to store said money. With 30,000 BOA employees recently laid off and echos of the phrase too big to fail, Emily and I thought it prudent to switch to a safer bank. Suffice it to say, what seems a simple task inadvertently takes hours. That's a general rule with which I'm coming to terms. For the next two-to-three weeks, my priority is establishing the systems and relationships necessary to start practices with the returning kids and organize tryouts for a new class. To that end, I spent all day today creating and editing a promotional video, in which I interviewed Jesse Pacheco, a CitySquash alum and all around all-star of the urban squash movement. With that completed, I'll contact the principal of Thompson Middle School, the parents of all RhodySquash kids, our transportation, tutors, and landlord. In the meanwhile, I'm having lunch with Maddox tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment