Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Paris Day 1

From Lyon to Paris ... by high speed train. If one has to pick a way to travel between big cites in France, I'd recommend TGV. Do the math your self -- 300 miles in just under two hours. Given that this was the final leg of our Europe journey by train (the Eurail pass was a godsend), I thought it would be fitting to give a final homage and thank you to the superb and punctual (exception Italy) European train network. Now to Paris.

We arrived at Gare du Lyon just before lunch and took the metro to our hotel, LE MERIDIEN ETIOLE. While we felt like Kings at the Dijon, we thought we were the Pope in Paris -- pure and unadulterated luxury. We dropped off our bags and quickly hit the streets, taking the metro to the David Lebovitz recommended AU PIED DU COCHON, a famous brasserie in the heart of the city. Despite the fact that the restaraunt is shamelessly touristy -- and it is -- Gabe and I enjoyed the experience and are now allowed to say "we did it." We both ordered the French onion soup. Following that, I made, in retrospect, the mistake of ordering the famous fried pig trotter. Again, I'm happy I did it but was put off instantly by the cartilaginous/gelatinous texture and the finger nails still remaining on the pig. I truly lost my appetite when Gabe offered me his nail clipper but take solace in the fact that Gabe (and he agrees on this) ordered the most disgusting thing on this trip -- andouillette. As always, google it!



Following lunch Gabe and I waked to the Pompidou; I personally found it boring, but then again, I'm at the stage of life where I most appreciate art when I recognize it having come across it before through life experience. After the Pompidou, Gabe and I went to the 9th arrondissement to another David Lebovitz recommended site, the Hotel Royal Fromentin ... An absinth bar two blocks away from Moulin Rouge. I thought this bar was one of the highlights of our entire Europe trip (thank you Charis and David, Mom and Dad for the rec). The ambiance was dated in the most charming of ways -- green, old looking, wood intensive. Watching the bartender make the drink was an experience itself; he pours a shot of licorice flavoroud absinth in a glass, suspends two sugar cubes over the rim, and allows ice water to drip slowly, dissolving the sugar for the drink. The buzz that ensues (52% alcohol content) is quite enjoyable.


Afterwards we walked all the way back to the Meridien in the 17th arrondissement, taking over an hour but in doing so exploring neighborhoods street by street. We found a brasserie near our hotel around 10:30, having a late dinner before hitting the hay for a full day to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment